The Mangione Magic Forum

Home | Contact | Search | Site Map

Forum | Profile | Active Topics | Members | PM | Search Forum | FAQ | Sign The Petition! (1712)
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Join Live Chat! Who's in Chat? Currently Empty

All Forums
 Chuck Mangione
 The Music Of Chuck Mangione
 Mangione In San Antonio 9/23
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jwgilmore
Main Squeeze

mm_comAvatarPTC
Send jwgilmore a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  3:02:51 PM  Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Visit jwgilmore's Homepage  Send jwgilmore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chuck is performing at the San Antonio jazz festival Jazz'SALive tomorrow (Sunday 9/23) at 6:30 pm. I will be going and will file a report for the group when I get back. Anyone else going? Maybe we can meet up...

John W. Gilmore
www.gilmoremarketing.com
www.modulationband.com

'Music is one of God's greatest gifts.' - Chuck Mangione
Report This Post

VinylGuy69
Main Squeeze

Chuck29
Send VinylGuy69 a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  10:47:49 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit VinylGuy69's Homepage  Send VinylGuy69 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too far for me, but if u can report back, a tune list, that would be really cool!!

Jazz Vibraphonist/Drummer/Composer

www.mindopenband.com
Report This Post Go to Top of Page

jonathanserna
Rookie Member

ChuckBareFoot
Send jonathanserna a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Sep 24 2007 :  1:55:01 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit jonathanserna's Homepage  Send jonathanserna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i was there. first time i saw chuck live. really enjoyed it

jwgilmore
Main Squeeze

mm_comAvatarPTC
USA

Posted - Sep 24 2007 :  10:35:30 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit jwgilmore's Homepage  Send jwgilmore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jonathan... please post a review... would love to hear your perspective! I can't believe you were there. Wish I'd known!

Here's my recap...

I realize now after finishing this that it's VERY long. I've added some pic links along the way, so hopefully it's worth your time... Would love your comments/feedback...

This was my second time to see Chuck. The first time was at Sambuca back in February. While Sambuca was up to that point a huge night for me, being the first time to see him, Jazz'SALive '07 in San Antonio was so much better for a number of reasons, primarily because it was an outdoor concert where they could crank up the amps and of course it was a more relaxed, casual atmosphere. Chuck seemed to be much more relaxed as well. It was also earlier in the evening (6:30 pm vs. 9:00 pm), and he played 10 minutes longer (100 minutes).

The band was was identical to what chuckfan reported at the Kensico concert last month (Click Here)...

Coleman Mellett on guitar, Corey Allen on piano, Dave Tull on drums/vocals, Kevin Axt on bass and Gerry Niewood on 'everything.'

The song list was identical as well...

Love the Feeling
Doin' Everything With You
Main Squeeze
Bellavia
DizzyMiles
Land of Make Believe
Give It All You Got
Fun and Games
Children of Sanchez Overture
Feels So Good w/America the Beautiful

Enough of the stats... here's my report, and please forgive the lack of technical/musical critique... Jimmy or Leather or others could give a much better musical critique so please forgive the amateur fan perspective!...

My two youngest sons and I left Houston right after church to head to San Antonio. We got there about 4:30. The weather was perfect... clear, low humidity, moderate temperature for a Sept. in Texas. We took a quick tour of the Alamo for my youngest and then walked over to Travis Park for the concert about an hour before showtime. The park was full. I would guess crowd size was between 1000-1500. ? ? ? The center area was already full, so we set up about five rows from the front at stage right. I noticed Corey, Kevin and Gerry hanging out a before the concert (Allen/Axt/Niewood), and they seemed comfortable and relaxed.

The concert started out loud and strong with Love the Feeling, and I immediately noticed Chuck was wearing shades (What's with the shades?). Has anyone ever seen him perform in shades before? It didn't bother me; rather, just surprised me.

Gerry then gave his usual outstanding performance on Doin' Everything With You (Gerry Doin' Everything). Everything was spot-on musically.

Main Squeeze then fired up and I felt like I was sitting in the Hollywood Bowl... (that's gotta be one of my favorite tracks from that album)... wow... the energy in which they played was just amazing. At one point Blake, my freshman leaned over and said, "Dad, I can feel my chair vibrating."

It was at this point that Chuck spoke for the first time, introducing the three previous songs and his band. His voice was strong and confident. He seemed relaxed and was having a good time. I commented several months ago in another thread that in Feb. he seemed tired and his voice was somewhat weak. Perhaps he was recovering from a cold or something? Not tonight... he was in command and full of energy.

Then came one of my all-time favorite Mangione songs... Bellavia. What an inspiring, warm, moving song... I don't know what it is about this song, but every time I hear it I just want to stand up and cheer. Gerry did his magic once again (Gerry on Bellavia)... wow, he is so smooth. Live performances are just hard to beat. I had to laugh... I was reading the ONLY news review I could find this morning and the writer COMPLETELY bombed the name (Click here for 'Bella Mia'!). LOL!

At this point I quit taking pics simply because I didn't have good angles on Corey, David, Kevin or Coleman.

Dizzy Miles was next with another great performance by David Tull. Connor, my 4th grader, or Blake asked if he was really saying words or just mumbling.

Land of Make Believe is my boys' favorite CM song, so they were pleased... again, executed with perfection as if I was sitting in the Hollywood Bowl 29 years ago.

The band then gave it all they had in Give It All You Got... what else can I say? This was another crowd pleaser. You can tell in public/free concerts like this (and even @ Sambuca to a point) that 90% of the audience are marginal Chuck fans because there is only a smattering of applause for most of the songs as they play the opening bars. GIAYG got a good reaction due to the '80 Winter Games exposure.

Fun & Games.... OMG... I thought Kevin's bass was about to explode. WOW he tore it up!! Outstanding. At a loss for more words on that one.

The Children of Sanchez Overture was great as always as David sang his heart out. There may be guys out there who may not like his style, but I appreciate the raw, heartfelt passion with which he sings... he may not be the most polished, but IMO I think anyone would be hard pressed to find someone else who could sing it with more feeling. And I wish I could tongue those notes like Chuck does... not fair!

Of course Chuck introduced the final song, Feels So Good, with the usual comment of thanks for putting his daughters through college. The funny thing is, I think he really means it. What a guy. He incorporated America the Beautiful as he did in the Kensico YouTube video (by the way, that vid of Kensico IS a violation of copyright... regardless of public/free performance. They told us last night that they would confiscate any camcorders; photos only). America was a stirring, nice addition... it brought the crowd to their feet.

Then for the BIGGEST part of the night. I had made arrangements with Chuck's manager to try to get us backstage after the concert due to my connections with the fan site (I told Leather ahead of time... thanks Leather!). While Chuck wouldn't do any shout outs on video for our website (I asked and he felt uncomfortable doing so ), he did autograph my A&M Records store display poster that I bought on eBay a few months back (See autograph vid here). When I pulled it out he said, "Man!...where did you get that!?!?" He was excited to see it and seemed impressed that I brought it. I guess it had probably been 20-30 years since he'd seen one. You can see a closer look at the poster (here).

After the autograph, he greeted my boys warmly and posed for a pic with us (Chuck & the Boys). He was very warm and friendly, but I didn't want to overstay our welcome, so we were in the VIP area for only 3-4 minutes. The funny (and embarrassing) thing was it wasn't until we were half a block down the street that Blake asked me why I didn't shake hands with 'the sax player.' Gerry was in the curtained off area we were in, but I was so focused on Chuck that I didn't even take the time to look around!! I had the chance to meet Gerry as well and blew it! I'll have to do better next time.

So sorry for the long, long (did I say 'long'?) recap. It was truly an 'Evening of Magic.' If you have never been to one of Chuck's shows, it is worth any distance you have to drive and any price for admission. Thanks for reading.

Jonathan... please add your thoughts as well!...

John W. Gilmore
www.gilmoremarketing.com
www.modulationband.com

Edited by - jwgilmore on Oct 23 2007 11:00:08 AM

satchmo67
Main Squeeze

jtar
Send satchmo67 a Private MessageSend PM
Australia

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  04:35:21 AM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit satchmo67's Homepage  Send satchmo67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
John, this was a fantastic review. Thanks so much for posting it.

Wish I could have been there!

VinylGuy69
Main Squeeze

Chuck29
USA

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  11:30:17 AM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit VinylGuy69's Homepage  Send VinylGuy69 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice pictures! By the way, who's the one wearing a Chicago shirt to a Chuck concert?

www.mindopenband.com

jwgilmore
Main Squeeze

mm_comAvatarPTC
USA

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  11:45:15 AM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit jwgilmore's Homepage  Send jwgilmore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quote quote:
By the way, who's the one wearing a Chicago shirt to a Chuck concert?

HA! Yeah, well... that was a little intentional on my part. I WOULD have worn a CHUCK t-shirt but they DON'T EXIST anymore!! It was I suppose somewhat of a protest of such by wearing it. hehe. I'm hoping someday somehow to bring them back and sell them either as a licensee or or resell as a wholesaler, but so far Gates Music isn't interested.

John W. Gilmore
www.gilmoremarketing.com
www.modulationband.com

Con Vito
Child of Sanchez

Con Vito
Send Con Vito a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  11:55:52 AM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit Con Vito's Homepage  Send Con Vito a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol diggin chuck's shades. love these reviews. they're pretty much the next best thing to going to the concerts.

"We're gonna conclude the first half of this basketball game..." Check out my music and voice samples at www.myspace.com/danconlin

dmmac
One-Eyed Sailor

EveningMagic
Send dmmac a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  12:02:53 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send dmmac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks once again for posting such a great "Play by Play" of the whole concert - with Pictures and videos! Awesome Job. Thanks -- felt like I was right there with you.

~"How I love when my thoughts run ... to the Land of Make Believe"~

VinylGuy69
Main Squeeze

Chuck29
USA

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  1:14:23 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit VinylGuy69's Homepage  Send VinylGuy69 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quote quote:
Originally posted by jwgilmore

Quote quote:
By the way, who's the one wearing a Chicago shirt to a Chuck concert?

HA! Yeah, well... that was a little intentional on my part. I WOULD have worn a CHUCK t-shirt but they DON'T EXIST anymore!! It was I suppose somewhat of a protest of such by wearing it. hehe. I'm hoping someday somehow to bring them back and sell them either as a licensee or or resell as a wholesaler, but so far Gates Music isn't interested.

How long haven't they been making them? I had a Chuck t-shirt that had the Feels So Good lettering on the front and Chuck's logo (hat and horn) on the back. I must have got it in 1998. It's too small on me now so i can't wear it.

www.mindopenband.com

jimmyjazz
Main Squeeze

FlugelHead
Send jimmyjazz a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  2:35:28 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit jimmyjazz's Homepage  Send jimmyjazz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joh...That was a GREAT review! Gee, I practically felt like i was there-nice pics. Love the video of Chuck signing that (alternate) head shot from Main Squeeze...I have still never heard him do Love the Feelin' with a small group. Last time i heard him play that, it was at the Blue Note in NY (about 10 years ago) with a small big band (and some strings) crammed onto that stage!
I hope I can actually see him sometime soon again..It's been a few years. (He is a big Yankee Fan and I am a big Mets fan-so we always get into a baseball chat!!!!)
Again, great job John, and thanks for sharing...
Peace.........

James Ingenito
www.jamesingenito.com

jwgilmore
Main Squeeze

mm_comAvatarPTC
USA

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  3:17:21 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit jwgilmore's Homepage  Send jwgilmore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quote quote:
How long haven't they been making them? I had a Chuck t-shirt that had the Feels So Good lettering on the front and Chuck's logo (hat and horn) on the back. I must have got it in 1998. It's too small on me now so i can't wear it.

Not sure when they discontinued them Vinyl... his website is out of stock. You'll see one on eBay occasionally. I spoke with Chuck's license attorney, Peter Matorin, this past summer about reproducing them. He checked with Chuck and Chuck wasn't interested.

Since CM has already made his fortune I get the feeling he just wants to focus on the music and not worry about the other merchandise. Oh well...

Quote quote:
John...That was a GREAT review!

Thanks Jimmy... glad I could share!! I also hope you get to see him again soon!

John W. Gilmore
www.gilmoremarketing.com
www.modulationband.com

Edited by - jwgilmore on Sep 25 2007 3:24:51 PM

Robert
Jazz Brother

Chuck6
Send Robert a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  3:59:39 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send Robert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for taking the effort to post this review and pictures. Excellent excellent excellent! How great to share your love of CM with your kids.

The line up sounded great. It's good to see a bit of diversity in his choice of music selection.

I TRULY believe Chuck appreciates ' Feels So Good'..... and his fans that follow him because of it. No hint of doubt in my mind about that.

In your world there was a KING, who once said, "I have a dream." Now there's a man who knew the secret.

Robert
Jazz Brother

Chuck6
USA

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  4:03:03 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send Robert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't wanna hi jack the topic. It's not worth it's own thread, but I thiought you'd get a kick out of this.

My sister has twins....a boy and girl in fourth grade. The school mandates music education, either chorus or band. They both picked up trumpets. Time to buy a few Chuck CDs for them to get inspired.

In your world there was a KING, who once said, "I have a dream." Now there's a man who knew the secret.

Con Vito
Child of Sanchez

Con Vito
USA

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  5:33:38 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit Con Vito's Homepage  Send Con Vito a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quote quote:
Originally posted by Robert

Don't wanna hi jack the topic. It's not worth it's own thread, but I thiought you'd get a kick out of this.

My sister has twins....a boy and girl in fourth grade. The school mandates music education, either chorus or band. They both picked up trumpets. Time to buy a few Chuck CDs for them to get inspired.

that's right! start em early lol.

"We're gonna conclude the first half of this basketball game..." Check out my music and voice samples at www.myspace.com/danconlin

Leatherlips
Administrator

MangioneMagic
Send Leatherlips a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  6:06:31 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit Leatherlips's Homepage  Send Leatherlips a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great review John! I know how much you were really looking forward to this concert! Your attention to detail is much appreciated! Please do not ever discount yourself as someone who does not know about music. You don't have to have a formal music education to have great ears! I think you know more than you give yourself credit for!

"When music is honest and full of love, labels aren't important, and people listen with an open mind"
-Chuck Mangione
Check my profile to find out how to enter the hidden VIP Lounge of the Mangione Magic Forum.

jwgilmore
Main Squeeze

mm_comAvatarPTC
USA

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  9:21:15 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit jwgilmore's Homepage  Send jwgilmore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quote quote:

Robert... great topic and great story. Blake is a freshman in high school band. Last spring when it came time to fill out the schedules, he wanted to quit band because he 'hated it' (Leather can relate as a jr. high director!). I told him high school was different and to give it until the Christmas break and then he can quit if he still hates it. And guess what... of course... now he loves it! AND he also plays trumpet like his old man. He really enjoyed the concert more that he expected. He and Connor both are still talking about it two days later, which is usually an honor only bestowed on Sponge Bob. Of course they've had to endure Chuck's music in the car the past few years, but they now have a new respect and appreciation for him and his music. Life is good.

Quote quote:
Thanks for the great review John! I know how much you were really looking forward to this concert! Your attention to detail is much appreciated! Please do not ever discount yourself as someone who does not know about music. You don't have to have a formal music education to have great ears! I think you know more than you give yourself credit for!

Thanks Leather... that means a lot coming from you. I have the highest respect for our music educators. Yes, I was excited about the concert from the day I found out about it. And I wanted to give back to the group with a detailed report... I really, REALLY love this website and have learned SO MUCH about Chuck and jazz from all of you guys over the past six months. It's the least I can do. Thank you!

John W. Gilmore
www.gilmoremarketing.com
www.modulationband.com

Robert
Jazz Brother

Chuck6
USA

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  4:13:51 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send Robert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's why I mentioned my niece and nephew starting to learn the trumpet..... you mentioned your's and your children's enjoyment of seeing Chuck's concert. That's really a great thing to share. So I'm looking to introduce a little Chuck to them.

I'm not too sure how my sister appreciated my love for CM's music all those years as kids. I literally played along to the music for hours. I wonder how passing that on might affect future lessons....LOL?)

Other than CM's music I really like how he has taken the time to educate the love of music to children.

CBarca
Chuck's Roadie

JustMeChuck
Send CBarca a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Oct 06 2007 :  10:10:50 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send CBarca a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome Job on the review John-very descriptive...your love of "The Man's" music is evident!

"We'd like to play for you a song that put my two daughters through college...."

jwgilmore
Main Squeeze

mm_comAvatarPTC
USA

Posted - Oct 07 2007 :  3:09:48 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit jwgilmore's Homepage  Send jwgilmore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks CBarca... glad to see you again!!

John W. Gilmore
www.gilmoremarketing.com
www.modulationband.com

Con Vito
Child of Sanchez

Con Vito
USA

Posted - Oct 07 2007 :  3:20:24 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit Con Vito's Homepage  Send Con Vito a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh hey! where've you been CBarca?

jwgilmore
Main Squeeze

mm_comAvatarPTC
USA

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  11:01:46 AM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit jwgilmore's Homepage  Send jwgilmore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got confirmation that the last name of Chuck's bass player, Kevin, is Axt... Kevin Axt. I've edited the above report accordingly.

John W. Gilmore
www.gilmoremarketing.com
www.modulationband.com

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mangione Magic © 2006-2016 Mangione Magic Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000