The Mangione Magic Forum

Home | Contact | Search | Site Map

Forum | Profile | Active Topics | Members | PM | Search Forum | FAQ | Sign The Petition! (1668)
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Join Live Chat! Who's in Chat? Currently Empty

All Forums
 Chuck Mangione
 The Music Of Chuck Mangione
 Paradise Blues (Chuck on Magum PI)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

satchmo67
Main Squeeze

jtar
Send satchmo67 a Private MessageSend PM
Australia

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  04:04:38 AM  Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Visit satchmo67's Homepage  Send satchmo67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally, 27 years after the last time, I'll be able to see Chuck's episode of Magnum PI this weekend.

Way back in 1983 the episode first aired in Australia. Although I was a fan of the show at that time, aged 16, I didn't know Chuck was on and I missed it. Fortunately a friend of mine recorded it and told me at school that Chuck had been on. I didn't believe him. I went over to his house and he proved me wrong. My family didn't own a VCR back then, so I had to soak it all up in his living room with his patient and understanding family.

I remember it was the first time I heard Do I Dare to Fall in Love, as I'd not yet heard the JtaR album. I was captivated. I kept the tune in my head until I got home (nowadays I can't remember anything!), and taught myself the lead. When I eventually got the album I discovered I was a half-tone too high.

Anyway, now in this age of Digital TVs, DVD recorders and 7 day EPGs, I'll be all set to re-live my Paradise Blues / Magnum PI experience at the age of 43 with my own family!

Do any of you have a Paradise Blues / Magnum PI story from years ago? Please share!

Edited by - satchmo67 on Dec 08 2010 04:07:35 AM
Report This Post

Leatherlips
Administrator

MangioneMagic
Send Leatherlips a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  07:12:48 AM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit Leatherlips's Homepage  Send Leatherlips a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice story. I remember seeing it as a kid and thought it was great that Chuck was on the show. His acting was.... well let's just say I'm glad he brought his flugelhorn! I have the main clip from the show in the members only section here if you'd like to see it again.

"When music is honest and full of love, labels aren't important, and people listen with an open mind"
-Chuck Mangione
Check my profile to find out how to enter the hidden VIP Lounge of the Mangione Magic Forum.
Report This Post Go to Top of Page

satchmo67
Main Squeeze

jtar
Australia

Posted - Dec 12 2010 :  04:48:42 AM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit satchmo67's Homepage  Send satchmo67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh..... was fun to watch this episode all these years later (Correction: apparently the episode aired in early 1984, not 1983).

Yeah I don't think Chuck was nominated for a Golden Globe for his acting in this episode, but watching the entire episode some 26 years later I feel confident that the Academy probably didn't invest a lot of time in Magnum PI.

satchmo67
Main Squeeze

jtar
Australia

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  9:46:05 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit satchmo67's Homepage  Send satchmo67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For anyone who may have missed the COTW link, here is a video I captured of Chuck and Leslie Uggams performing Here's That Rainy Day from the episode of Magnum PI.

Some great shots of Chuck. You can watch it in high res / full screen from the YouTube page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vobjnI5chU8

Be sure to give it a thumbs up / comment!

jwgilmore
Main Squeeze

mm_comAvatarPTC
Send jwgilmore a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  5:27:27 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit jwgilmore's Homepage  Send jwgilmore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love it! Smooth and sweet...

John W. Gilmore
www.gilmoremarketing.com
www.modulationband.com

'Music is one of God's greatest gifts.' - Chuck Mangione

Robert
Jazz Brother

Chuck6
Send Robert a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Jan 01 2011 :  3:59:32 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send Robert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny......

26 years ago I thought Leslie was old.... today, I think she's yummy.

Nice clip Satchmo, and a great story. I spent an inordinate amount of time at a friends house watching rented movies on those new fangled VCRs.

In your world there was a KING, who once said, "I have a dream." Now there's a man who knew the secret.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mangione Magic © 2006-2014 Mangione Magic Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

MangioneMagic.com